You are here:
Department Chemicals Safety
The Department’s work encompasses the health assessment of substances (chemicals, biocides, pesticides) and preparations (pesticides and biocides). This assessment involves determining their inherent toxic properties for the purposes of classification and labelling, the establishment of limit values and the identification of exposure as elements of risk assessment. Furthermore, control methods are examined and existing test methods and strategies are developed further and new ones conceived.
The Department’s assessments are used on the national, European and global levels. National and European risk management provisions and measures are based on them. They are also used in transport safety including international sea shipping.
Department 6 has the following Units:
- Unit 61: Steering of Procedures and Overall Assessment
- Unit 62: Toxicology of Pesticides and Biocides
- Unit 63: Toxicology of Chemicals
- Unit 64: Application Safety
- Unit 65: Residue Assessment of Pesticides and Biocides